Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Stupidest Fashion Reader Ever


In the Readers React section of a high-end fashion magazine, one reader writes:
Work it girl!
“I am so mad that (this magazine) put Megan Fox on the cover. I love (this magazine) because it is intelligent, sassy and a fantastic art and fashion magazine. But Fox is not fashionable, has a gigantic mouth that spews nothing but verbal diarrhea and is a flash in the pan. This magazine is one of the few that still put models and authentic movie stars on the cover. I would understand if you featured Lindsey Lohan, because she is a tragic character and an actor who obviously loves clothes. Fox is just a sorry excuse for some publicity to sell magazines.”

But back, for a second, to the more pressing matter: yes I was looking through a fashion magazine. They’re all over at my work and, honestly, the full page ads are always fairly amusing. You’d be amazed how far advertisers have to go to “stand out” in the world of fashion marketing. No, I’m not interested in the fashion; I have no idea what’s going on with any of it, as would be clear to anyone who’s ever looked at me. But anyway,

This woman is one of the dumbest, most awful people I’ve never met. It’s not Megan Fox that’s the issue. It’s her notion of what a merited cover subject is. Good Lord! Megan Fox?! This magazine normally features wafer thin, objectified, nameless young women! Megan Fox has often shared opinions! Where have the morals gone!?

Sassy!
It’s adorable that being outspoken should count against someone’s qualification to appear on a fashion magazine. She would be fine with Lindsey Lohan, of course and however, because Lindsey is a train wreck of a human being who does drugs and drinks too much and will probably be dead soon, and if history has taught us anything, it’s that tragic beauties are totally sassy. Destroying yourself slowly in the public eye makes you a prime candidate for a fashion cover, but speaking your mind…ick! Oh, and Lindsey totally loves clothes more than Fox does. The distinction in character is profound.

And I love the way “actor” is slipped in there in a desperate attempt to subtly align with her original “authentic movie stars” gripe. Lady, Megan Fox may be a flash in the pan, but Lohan isn’t exactly cruising toward Streep status herself. And, again, the issue is not one girl against the other. I'm not trashing Lohan; the poor girl does it to herself enough it seems. The problem is the depraved, idiotic standards at hand here. I don’t know why I should care, and perhaps I shouldn’t, but I suppose that I at least try to believe that the fashion industry is not the pile of rubbish it always seems to be. People like this make it hard. 
By Dave Beauchene

No comments:

Post a Comment