Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Big Hanging Tree News Is Here!

After a month long build up, I'm officially announcing The Hanging Tree's countdown of The 500 Best Albums of  All Time.

A lofty idea I know, but after last year's very successful 100 Best Albums of the Decade, I was left with the itch to tackle something grander and ever more pointless than the last go round.

Scheduled to start on July 5th, this is essentially a comprehensive look at the most important albums ever released in the history of popular music. However because this is such an expansive task, I'm going to lay out a few ground rules.

1) No albums from the past 2 years will be included. Sure I might have given Plastic Beach an A-, but that doesn't mean it belongs in the history books. And no that doesn't mean that a lot of 2007 albums will be on the list. I just needed a cut off point. So everything from 1900-2007 is up for grabs... sorta.

2) Greatest hits and soundtracks will be allowed. I know that it's cliche to put a "Best Of" or a "Music From The Motion Picture" album on any list, but every once in a while one of these album formats might be important to a certain musical genre or period in time. Therefore it may belong on the list.

3) This Is Not Going To Be Picture Perfect (Duh!) The best thing about making lists is the fact that they encourage debate and healthy discussion. If you think I'm wrong (or right) call me out. That's where the real fun lies.

4) I Will Be Objective And Unbiased Those of you that know me well know that The Who's Quadrophenia is my favorite album. But that doesn't make it the best. Same goes for The Who themselves. I will not make this some fan boy list. I'm trying my best to be fair and accurate to every song and record that I listen to.

5) No Genre Goes Untouched (Except Scream-Metal) Nuff Said.

No comments:

Post a Comment