Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Review: Rihanna - Rated R

Rihanna has more number 1 singles than anyone else this decade. However people's initial thought when she comes to mind is her scuffle with Douche Bag of the Year recipient Chris Brown who violently beat her while en route to last winter's Grammys. Rated R marks the singer's first album since the incident and finds a young star trying to come to terms with such a horrific event while also trying to get people on the dance floor leading to a mix matched, yet better than average, pop album.

Rihanna came on the scene in 2005 with the glossy "Pon de Replay". She was presented as the sexy girl next door who you knew you never had a chance with. However her image ever since then has gotten... well... more "edgier"?
I must admit I found her "Umbrella" phase a bit ridiculous. Are you supposed to be a sadomasochistic house maid? Nope. Charlize Theron as Aeon Flux? Maybe. Trying way too hard? Yup.
Rated R continues in Rihanna's quest for edgy, dark, dance ready tunes. However unlike her last attempt at pushing the envelope, this album comes off a touch more natural. I guess getting the shit beat out of you and having the entire world see your swollen face could make you just a little pissed off. So even if her "toughness" is being forced yet again I guess I'm simply just giving her the benefit of the doubt here.
This record tries to be a learning experience for the 21 year old starlet. Songs like "Stupid In Love" find her reflecting on her initial reaction to return to Brown after the beating. "I gave you a chance to make things right... And you still insist on repeatedly trying to tell me lies" she sings. "This is so stupid, I'm not stupid, Don't talk to me like I'm stupid".
Sure the lyrics are tedious and a bit mundane throughout, but what else did you expect from radio friendly material such as this? I'd still pick Rihanna over Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift any day.
Rihanna claims to be a tough minded single lady now. "Wait Your Turn" finds her brandishing a grenade (Were did you get a hand grenade?) while proclaiming she's a champion. On "Hard" she swear's she tougher than a lion. "Rockstar 101" boasts how hott she is in da club with a Slash making a guest appearance (I wouldn't have known that had I not read that somewhere else seeing as how there isn't any signature Slash moment to be found).
However all the walls built up come crashing down on "Russian Roulette", the best track on Rated R. Rihanna's guard is dropped and her true emotions are bared for all the see. "And you can see my heart beating / You can see it through my chest / Said I'm terrified but I'm not leaving / I know that I must pass this test". She's truly vulnerable for the first time in her career. Her voice is powerful is used for every ounce of what it's worth.
"Photographs",which features will.i.am., starts out with good intentions. However Rihanna's longing for the good old days is ruined by the craptastic use of Auto Tune. Jay-Z called for an end to that - didn't you get the memo?
"Fire Bomb" and "The Last Song" are worth mentioning as well - even if they may come off a little routine.
Rated R is quite an odd ball to analyze. Rihanna wants to teach all the children a lesson or two about love, but at the same time wants to get people to dance to the groove. No one dances and gets educated at the same time - except for the kids on Barney - but I don't think they are Rihanna's target audience.
However I suppose it doesn't matter what I think about this album. The bottom line is if you hear any of these tunes when you're out on the town like the Sex and the City girls, you'll still shake what your mama gave ya - then and only then does Rated R hit its mark.
Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment