Monday, September 14, 2009

Kanye + Lady Gaga = Good Food For Thought

I feel kind of cheated in a way. While the now infamous VMA moment involving Kanye West and Taylor Swift went down, I was watching the Packers and Bears game which was a little underwhelming. I found out about the public smack down through everyone talking about it on Facebook. If you by some strange chance haven't seen the video, watch it here below.
Now let me just be honest - I love Kanye West. I've often defended some of his most outlandish statements or actions. I really do believe that George Bush doesn't care about black people. I really do think that he is the best rapper alive right now (sorry Weezy). I really do think that she is a gold digger. I really don't think he's a gay fish. However, I can't really defend him on this.
That was Miss Swift's moment and he had no right to ruin it. No matter how much I do agree that Beyonce had the better video (although it certainly was no "Thriller"), no matter how unoriginal and unimportant I think Taylor Swift is, and no matter how much marginally better I think Miss Knowles is, the people spoke and it was Swift they spoke for. After all, it is the MTV loving, Twilight obsessing crowd voting on the VMA awards.
I suppose the only reason Kanye acted up was to keep his name in the news. I mean, it has been less than 2 seconds since he released any new material or made some new outlandish proclamation that I would have the responsibility to defend to all of my blood thirsty anti-Kanye friends. It's not easy having to fill the shoes that you made for yourself and he knows that.
The other thing I noticed while reading the
all revealing Facebook statuses was that of Lady Gaga. A few professed unwavering love while the vast majority told Miss Gaga (something tell me that's not her real name) to lay off the cocaine.
So I guess it's time for me to be honest again - I respect Lady Gaga. I understand why some people would be freaked out by someone who looks like this picture you see to the right. It's not everyday that you see a pop star wear a crowned rug over their face.
But I respect Lady Gaga because I know what she's trying to do. She's what a modern pop star should be. She's mixing music, fashion, art and charisma all into one ball of WTF-Was-That-Ness. She's not the first one to do something like this.
Bands like Pink Floyd and The Who were considered bizarre and avant-garde because not only did they play music, but they smashed up their instruments or played strobe lights at their concerts. Even the Beatles were chastised for having hair below their ears. Lady Gaga is just waving her freak flag high and picking up where Madonna left off. Americans have just become so complacent with weirdness over the years that it takes new extremes to grab our undivided attention.
So congratulations Lady Gaga. I respect you - penis or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment